Monday, December 6, 2010

Up Up and Go Away

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm outgoing, friendly, and usually a happy person. When I enter an airport..all that changes...I transform into an aloof, slightly irritated person. Anyone who flies frequently knows why.

Although airlines let you check in 24 hours in advance and "pick your seat" if available, you never know whom you will be sitting next too. My most recent journey to Seattle and back brought me both happiness and misery. On the connecting flight I had a lone seat (small plane)=happy. However on the other flight, I had a sick 2 year old on her mothers lap next to me.  (Yes if they are 2 and under they can sit on your lap) She wasn't just sick, she was wild with the ancy-panties..and I dont blame her. I mean she's 2 and has an attention span of like 5 seconds. Because there's not enough room to really sit her forward, what with the small space AND the tray table, she sits her kid to the side, where she kicks me the entire time. The mother made an effort to try and control the leg kicking..to no avail..the kid kept kicking. I was about to offer her a zip tie, but figured that would be rude. (yes I like kids and will have some one day-just not today) Not only was she over into my seat with her legs but she also kept coughing on me and coughing up the stuff kids cough up when they are sick (same thing as adults do just in smaller doses). She coughed all over my veggies..gross right? I placated myself with the thought..they are veggies and full of vitamins and minerals and hopefully they will keep you from getting sick. So far so good..(dont burst my bubble)

To be fair, the mom did make an effort to the best of her ability in such a confined space. Plus she can't help the kid is sick.And my beef is more with the airlines than anything. So I'd like to offer them some options:

*Make every person have their own seat~yes..I realize for families this isnt cost effective, however you arent the only one on the plane..you have other people to consider and those people dont like sharing their seat or being kicked. Plus it allows the child to be seatbelted in.

*If they have to be on a plane (and sometimes they have too~ I wouldnt want to travel 5000 miles in mini van with them either) then bring something for them to do. Coloring books, crayons, stories, games..whatever.  And please do not let them run up and down the aisle ways..thats how feet trip, heads hit the floor and the crying begins. Plus..its rude.

*A third, some say less viable option, is to put them in your carry on and stow them away...this takes care of the price of a seat and makes everyone happy on the plane..until the shrieking begins. But hey..thats what the $2 ear phones are for..right?

And there you have it....words of wisdom from someone not qualified to give it.

(Please note, that while I do have a serious gripe about the situation, this blog is meant for entertainment value and in no way should be taken seriously..except for that one part)

As always..thank you for tuning in.

No comments:

Post a Comment